Last revised: October 11, 2013



SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY, New York
Photo Album
#1A.


1959 - Syracuse, New York
Syracuse University
FIRE!


These Barracks were shut in 1953, and then Re-opened 2 years later.
"
They should never have been re-opened!"

Skytop Barracks were built in 1947 as a temporary housing development for 700 freshmen at Syracuse University. The extra buildings were needed because of the influx of veterans of World War II to college. Sixteen individual barracks similar that which was destroyed were constructed. The development was closed in 1953 as the students were moved into dormitories nearer the campus, but it was reopened again in 1955 as a military barracks for the Air force Institute of Technology (AFIT) language program. The Air Force used the area under contract with the University, but the University owned the land and buildings and were responsible for maintenance.



Last revised: October 11, 2013

Copyright 2011 by RWF2000 Internet Consulting